How Do You Get Back To The Gym, After Baby?
Don’t get us wrong, being a mom is one of the greatest gifts in life. The love and joy you feel looking at your child and watching them learn and explore new things is beyond words. But, let’s get real and talk about the transformation our bodies take. Yes, it is amazing that we can build a human inside of us, BUT, it takes a major toll on your body and sometimes your self esteem.
I know I (Ash) can attest to the fact that your body just doesn’t feel or look the same. I’ve been trying to get back on the fitness train, but being a mom, sleepless nights, colds, and daily life have just sideswiped this attempt, like a freight train. I was doing extremely well using Sweat with Kayla, and noticing results in the inches EVERYWHERE. I was also jogging with my other mom friend, Jess, a couple times a week. We even ran a 5km on mother's day! Needless to say, I’m attempting to get back in the groove as I want to make it part of my everyday, especially, once I’m back at work day.
For me (Jas here), shortly after baby was born, I remember standing in the mirror and admiring my body and the way that my belly area had transformed, still touting what looked like a baby bump as my body took its time to reorganize itself to the pre-baby self. I say admiring because I was proud of the way my body looked, almost like a uniform showing that here I am, I am a mother to a newborn. Before having baby, I worried about getting my shape back quickly but I have to say that after baby arrived, and although I feel it is important to be healthy more than ever (to be around and healthy as long as possible for my children) I am also okay with my new mom-bod. There were certainly times when I found it really difficult to get active between baby clusterfeeding and wanting to be held all of the time. Joelle only napped well in my arms, so even during her naps I couldn’t find much time to exercise. However, I did find some solutions - keep your eyes peeled for my upcoming blog post about fitness post baby.
That being said for both Jas and I, fitness and living a healthy lifestyle is really important. When you get into being active, feeling comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing is equally as important. So here at Maples to Mountains, we’ve put together a few of our favourite styles of workout wear.
Ashley’s Favourites and Must-Haves
- Ta Ta Tamer III: Even before having the baby, my cleavage needed the ultimate support, after having the baby and nursing, this has been my go-to sports bra. It helps keep everything in place no matter what type of exercise you might be doing. (Jas totally touts this sports bra too! It’s ah-mazing!)
- Asics Gel Quantum 360: I can’t stress how important these shoes have been for my ankles and knees. Asics is my favourite brand for running shoes (especially when I’m running). After fighting through previous ankle injuries and the odd ingrown toenail, I don’t cut corners where my feet are concerned. After all, without the proper footwear (in my opinion) you’re setting your body up for unnecessary pain.
- Wunder Under Crop (High Rise): I could LIVE in these, I also have the full length pair for winter. They are great! I’m not sure about all of you, but my little mommy ‘pouch’ (gentle word for it) is kept all tucked in nicely with this high rise pants. I like doing resistance and strength training in them, but running I find the high rise waist rolls down.
- Hotty Hot Short II (Long): When I’m running, I like to feel the breeze flowing and the less cling to my body the better. The waist and breathable fabric make these the perfect pair.
- Swiftly Tech Long Sleeve Crew: It’s hard to squeeze in a run, so when I have the opportunity, I like getting it done before the baby wakes up, or after he’s gone to bed. Here in Sudbury, around that time of day in the spring and fall can be quite cool (even the mornings and evenings this summer have been cool). This long sleeve top helps wick away my sweat while keeping me warm.
- Fast as Light Singlet: Perfect for those warmer nights, this flowing singlet helps my body breathe. I’m also not all for those super cute tight workout tanks that show every lump or bump. Let’s face it, my body isn’t like it was in my early twenties, but I still want to look and feel good.
- Rain Haven Jacket: This summer has been filled with rain! I’ve tried running with my North Face windbreaker, but once I start sweating the mesh on the inside clings to me like glue. The inside of this jacket is not only more comfortable, but it also has the great pocket for tunes.
Jasmine’s Activewear Finds for Post Baby
- TITIKA Active Strike Performance Layering Tank: TITIKA Active is a Canadian company Check out the back on this beauty! I love active tanks that are loose and flowy, and even more, that are lightweight and keep me feeling cool.
- TITIKA Active Moonless Performance Long Sleeve: A long sleeve top is nice during those slow flow yoga classes. The mesh neckline on this top is so pretty too.
- Karma Athletics Pranayana Racerback II: Karma Athletics wear is made in Canada so that right there is a win. I’m loving the light grey colouring on this tank, and the ruching along the sides adds a flattering touch.
- TITIKA Active Bandidos High Impact Bra: Okay, I know. TITIKA active again! I just love their styles and their reviews demonstrate that folks are loving their product. Look at the beautiful detail on the back of this bra and it’s a high impact bra, something that I could not have lived without postpartum given the giant milk jugs I was carrying. LOL.
- TITIKA Active Seya Legging: Check. Out. The. Details. These leggings carry a feminine touch with the lace and scalloping at the base. Functionality meet beauty… hello!
- Adidas Women’s Pure Boost X All Terrain Running Shoe: Anyone who knows me knows that I love the colour white so when I came across these shoes that were both white and offered the support needed for running, they were added to my must have list. Like Ashley has already said, properly fitting shoes are SO important so make sure you take the time to find a pair that fits just right.
- TITIKA Active Tie Performance Short: Perfect for those hot days, hot yoga classes, and just being out and active in the summer and fall.
We hope that these fitness finds will have you feeling both stylish and ready to take on the fitness world. What are some of your favourite activewear picks? Any other brands out there that we should check out? Let us know in the comments!